To test if our service is working, first add the domain to our system and then follow the instructions below:
- Add our secondary mx records to the dns for the domain.
- Wait 24 hours for the dns changes to propagate.
- Now take your mail server offline by disabling the smtp service so it doesn't respond. You can check to make sure it is offline with a simple telnet command to port 25 on your primary mx record. For example if your primary mx record is mail.acme.com you can do: 'telnet mail.acme.com 25' If you get a response your mail server is still online and we won't get messages, but if it times out you have correctly disabled your smtp server.
- Next send yourself some test messages from a Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail account.
- You can verify the number of messages in the queue summary for the domain increase accordingly based on your tests, by logging into your account and viewing the queue summary. Or if you enabled our email continuity service verify the test emails that you sent make it to the email continuity users that you sent it to.
- Now bring your mail server back online and verify that your test messages that were spooled on our end make it back to your server within a couple hours.